Getting creative in the way you stash valuables while you travel can make the difference between an excellent getaway and a bad one.
Over the years I’ve used various methods to stash my extra cash and credit cards.
Some have worked exceptionally well. Whereas others, like stowing cash in the innersole of shoes have just made them uncomfortable to wear.
Not everyone has the confidence to sew secret pockets inside clothing or backpack. So, I’ve listed products that can help you become the Jason Bourne of the travel world without the risk of destroying your gear.
Check out these eight creative ways to stash valuables while you travel.
I first picked up the original version in early 2014 to help store my phone while listening to music on my morning runs. As the Flipbelt has plenty of room to store other items too, it’s possible to bring other things along like a wallet, keys, plus anything else like passports or so on.
Not only do you have breakfast money handy for after that morning run but there’s no need to worry about leaving valuables in the hostel or hotel while you’re away.
- Multi-access pocket openings throughout belt
- No buckles to cause uncomfortable chafing
- Non-Bounce, even design
- 3M Reflective logo
- Machine washable & Machine Dryable
- Various colours available
The Screwpop bottle opener tool is a step up from the standard stashcash key chain commonly found in outdoor and travel stores.
The Screwpop can stash a small amount of cash and fits nicely in a pocket or backpack. The design means it can clip to or attach to a keyring, carabiner clip, paracords, belt loop and lanyards.
And for the backpacker in all of us, it has a bottle opener too.
The storage capacity is not much but can be used to store a small amount of money or medicine.
- Similar in size to chapstick, it is small enough to slip into your pocket, or attach to your keys
- Can be used open beer bottles with ease
- Connect almost anywhere and ensure that it holds securely
- Step on it, sit on it or toss it in a bag without worry of damage or your stuff spilling out
- Two separate seals for ultimate water-proof
Without a doubt, the car key stash is one of the most creative ways to stash valuables while you travel.
However, while I’m sure there aren’t many who would think to look inside the key, there are other magpies who might go after it hoping to score a bigger prise.
Car key stash specs:
- Looks and feels exactly like a real car key, metal key even pops out like a real car key
- Simply open the key to revealing hidden compartment
- 2 stage opening process for extra security
- Key ring attachment
- Very tough
- No obvious opening
You don’t get more every day and ordinary than a regular sized BIC lighter.
While your hostel buddies might be wondering why your lighter doesn’t light, it’s probably for the best as they would only want to borrow it anyway. You can keep the secret to yourself that once you take the bottom off there is a space inside the lighter to stash your valuables.
BIC lighter stash specs:
- Full lighter size
- Will not spark
- Lighter won’t produce flame
- False bottom identical to original Bic lighter
Looking for something a little bigger than a BIC lighter? Then why not try this deodorant stash?
It even has real deodorant inside for when you need to freshen up!
Deodorant stash specs:
- Item Weight 44 ounces
- Product Dimensions 5 x 1 x 3 inches
- Size 1.8 OZ
Still not big enough you say? Then check out this shaving foam stash can – it’s enormous!
Shaving foam stash specs:
- Made from genuine product containers
- Screw off bottom
- Size 10.7 x 4.5 x 3.4 inches
As I shave my head, it wouldn’t work very well for me. However, a hair brush stash is something my girlfriend recommends.
Not only can it stash your travel money, but you can use it to brush your hair.
For extra effect make sure there’s plenty of old hair wrapped around it, as no one wants to pinch an old hair brush!
Hair brush stash specs:
- Secret false top unscrews to display hidden stash safe
- Take it with you wherever you go without drawing attention to your valuables
- Same design as a normal hair brush
- Inside safe size: 1.25 inches wide, 4.5 inches deep
- Product dimensions 8.9 x 3.4 x 3.3 inches
- Fits 30 rolled notes
Finally, no Jason Bourne wannabe would leave the house without wearing his favourite stash underwear.
A pickpocket or a mugger might go about their duty in different ways, but their end goal is to get what’s inside your pocket.
Unless you have just entered a kidnap situation, it’s highly unlikely you will be forced to strip down to your underwear. So let the aggressor take the dummy wallet and expired bank card, all because, you guessed it, the real ones are stashed below in your underwear.
The stash underwear also happens to be lightweight, breathable, odour-resistant, moisture-wicking and can be hand washed.
Scottevest boxer specs:
- Two pockets which can take gadgets, phones, wallets, keys, sunglasses and much more
- Expandable waistband meaning you can indulge without undoing your top button
- Specifically engineered not to wrinkle and look great no matter how you store it
- Designed to balance the weight load so it’s comfortable to carry and your back won’t get sore.
- Breathable and quick-drying fabric, so you stay comfortable on your next adventure, travels, or commuting around town
Creative Ways to Stash Valuables While You Travel Click To Tweet